Lead Chef (Hickory House
Company: Hy-Vee, Inc.
Posted on: April 1, 2021
Job Title: Lead Chef FLSA: Non-Exempt
Department: Hickory House Revision Date: 05/2018
The Lead Chef is responsible for all food production including that
used for Hickory House, restaurants, banquet functions, and other
outlets. Develops menus, food purchase specifications and recipes.
Supervise staff. Develops and monitor food and labor budget for the
department. Maintains highest professional food quality and
Accountable and Reports to: Store Director; Assistant Directors;
Store Operations, Perishables, and Health Wellness Home; Food
Service Director; Hickory House Manager; Hickory House Assistant
Manager; Assistant Managers
Direct Reports: Cooks, Sous Chef
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by
exhibiting caring, concern and patience in all customer
interactions and treating customers as the most important people in
- Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the
encounter takes place in the employee's designated department or
elsewhere in the store.
- Makes an effort to learn customers' names and to address them
by name whenever possible.
- Assists customer by
- Escorting them to the products for which they're looking
- Securing products that are out of reach
- Loading or unloading heavy items
- Making note of and passing along customer suggestions or
- Performing other tasks in every way possible to enhance the
- Answers the telephone promptly and provides friendly, helpful
service to customers who call.
- Assists in Training and managing Sous Chefs, Cooks, Hickory
House and restaurant employees as needed.
- Supervises/coordinates all related culinary activities.
- Estimates food consumption and requisition or purchase
- Selects and develops recipes - coordinate menu planning and
development of new dishes.
- Standardizes production recipes to ensure consistent
- Establishes presentation technique and quality standards.
- Aids in planning and pricing menus.
- Ensures proper equipment operation/maintenance.
- Demonstrates proper use of equipment and cooking
- Oversees food production for quality and cost standards.
- Responsible for inventory control and ordering of needed
- Ensures proper safety and sanitation in kitchen.
- Serving as a liaison between kitchen staff and customers;
ensuring that food leaving the kitchen is of the highest quality;
portions are correct and food plated in an attractive manner.
- Oversees special catering events and offer culinary instruction
and/or demonstrate culinary techniques.
- Reports to work when scheduled and on time.
Assists in Training and managing Sous Chefs, Cooks, Hickory House
and restaurant employees as needed.
Education and Experience
A culinary degree is preferred. At least 2 years' experience as a
Sous Chef is required. Experience with control food and labor cost,
demonstration cooking, menu development, and pricing and
development of culinary team preferred. Premise and liability
accountability and contract-managed service experience is
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics
- Ability to interpret and manage recipes to ensure compliance
and minimize waste
- Ability to spot problems and resolve them quickly and
efficiently, maintain a level head, and delegate many kitchen tasks
- Maintain impeccable personal hygiene; high work and safety
standards; set an example for the remainder of staff
- Ability to manage in a diverse environment with focus on client
and customer service.
- Excellent attention to detail
- Demonstrated track record of creativity, training, cost
controls and understand the intricacies of running day to day very
busy, uncompromising kitchens
- Strong passion for culinary excellence, wine knowledge and
- Proven ability to develop team - strong leadership and
- Knowledge of systems, methods and processes that contribute to
- Stable job history which demonstrates upward career
- Accountable for recipe adherence, order accuracy, ticket times
and plate presentation
This position is frequently exposed to temperature extremes and
dampness. There are possible equipment movement hazards from a
pallet jack, electrical shock, and exposure to cleaning chemicals
and solvents. This is a fast paced work environment.
- Must be able to physically perform medium work: exerting up to
50 pounds of force occasionally, 20 pounds of force frequently, and
10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Visual requirements include vision from less than 20 inches to
more than 20 feet with or without correction, depth perception,
color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors), and
field of vision.
- Must be able to perform the following physical activities:
Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing,
walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking,
hearing, and repetitive motions.
Equipment Used to Perform Job
All kitchen equipment, including: Fryers, ovens, stoves, grills,
toasters, chicken roaster, can opener, griddle, chargrill, slicer,
delivery van, refrigerated food prep case, hot case, cold case,
thermometers, knives, dishwasher, ice machine, coffee maker,
scales, pop machine, calculator, computer, Telexon ordering
machine, C.A.R.S. reordering system, steamer, fax, copier,
telephone, Hobart machine. Bar equipment, such as tags, Napa
technology, Aloha POS System, and Cash register.
Has daily contact with the general public and customers. Has
contact with federal/state governmental or regulatory agencies
regarding inspections. Hy-Vee, Inc. is an employee-owned
corporation operating 240 retail stores across eight Midwestern
states with sales of $9.3 billion annually. Hy-Vee ranks among the
top 25 supermarket chains and the top 50 private companies in the
United States. Supermarket News, the authoritative voice of the
food industry, has honored the company with a Whole Health
Enterprise Award for its leadership in providing services and
programs that promote a healthy lifestyle.
Keywords: Hy-Vee, Inc., Plymouth , Lead Chef (Hickory House, Hospitality & Tourism , Plymouth, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!