Medical Assistant /Practice Assistant (Clinical and Admin support)
Company: Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Posted on: January 11, 2020
DEPARTMENT DESCRIPTION: BID-Plymouth Surgery Practice located at 46
Obery Street in Plymouth
JOB LOCATION: Plymouth, MA
REQ ID: 33159BR
JOB SUMMARY: Reports to: Practice Manager or Ambulatory Practice
Coordinator with input from assigned physician(s), nurses or other
health care providers. Responsible for delivering the highest
quality service to patients while contributing to the smooth
functioning of practice operations.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Perform Practice Assistant duties: Greet patients, perform check
in, registration, scheduling, verification of demographic
information and fiscal data. Collects co-payments, schedules,
reschedules and cancels appointments making every effort to
accommodate patient and provider needs. Obtains and enters
referrals. Prepare and maintain medical records.
* The Medical/Practice Assistant serves as a role model, providing
support, training and sharing knowledge with other Medical
Assistants and Practice Assistants in the practice. Makes
recommendations on how resources can be used differently and more
* Identifies and resolves OSHA compliance issues, audits and
maintains point of care testing and tracks test results.
Participates in practice improvement initiatives. The MAI may
participate in small projects under the direction of the Manager or
* Serves as a communication resource. Asks appropriate questions
and solves problems. Takes complete and accurate information from
patients in person and by phone, prioritizing and communicating the
information to providers appropriately. Responds quickly and
courteously to phone calls and requests. Seeks assistance from
supervisor and others appropriately.
* Greets patients and escorts to exam rooms. Ensures availability
of x-rays, lab slips, medical records and other pertinent info.
Obtains vitals, weight, blood pressure, pulse and temperature,
performs EKGs, injections and/or phlebotomy, and assists providers.
Performs departmental screening, lab tests and specimen collection.
Implements quality control standards.
* Provides patients with relevant instructions for specific tests
and procedures. Performs or assists with routine procedures under
proper supervision as directed by physician, Nurse Practitioner.
Schedules follow-up tests and appointments. Arranges patient
transport as needed. Sorts/distributes lab results daily to
appropriate physician or nurse practitioner. Maintains patient
* Assists with procuring medical records. Ensures patient records
and relevant documents filed in the record have appropriate patient
identification. Adds new medications to patient record in EMR
system. Assemble records according to BIDHC/APG policy and as
standards are defined by the Joint Commission of Accreditation of
Health Care Organizations (JCAHO).
* Ensures that equipment and supplies necessary to carry out
patient care activities are available and usable and the
environment is clean and organized. Maintains an unobstructed area
for patient access. Cleans rooms after patient usage and ensures
appropriate disposal of contaminated materials. Tracks, orders and
maintains supplies and equipment, restocks supplies.
* Participates in practice improvement initiatives.
* Attend and successfully complete annual APG Medical Assistant
* Medical Assistants will ensure that PHI (Patient Health
Information) will only be used for the purposes of patient TPO
(treatment, payment and operations). APG patient personal health
information is only shared with individuals who are actively
managing the patient's care. NO other parties are entitled to
receive, discuss a patient's personal health information without
the patient's permission.
* The Medical Assistant will ensure patient safety practices to
prevent/eliminate risk of patient harm. Adverse patient events and
near misses will be promptly reported to the APG Risk Management
* High School diploma or GED required.
* Certificate 1 Medical Assistant Certificate required.
* 0-1 years related work experience required.
* Graduation from an accredited Medical Assistant program.
* Experience with computer systems required, including web based
applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may
include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
* Certified Medical Asst.
* Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on
specific instructions, standard practices and established
procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
* Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine,
somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear
directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for
* Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions
and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by
* WRITTEN COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to communicate clearly and
effectively in written English with internal and external
* ORAL COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to comprehend and converse in
English to communicate effectively with medical center staff,
patients, families and external customers.
* KNOWLEDGE: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of
standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the
ability to use them in varied situations.
* TEAM WORK: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to
improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas,
identifying issues, and respecting team members.
* CUSTOMER SERVICE: Ability to provide a high level of customer
service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a
professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in
active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in
AGE BASED COMPETENCIES:
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to
the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Youth: 6
months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60
years, Elderly: 60 -.
PHYSICAL NATURE OF THE JOB:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or
up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and
employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of
Equal Opportunity Employer
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity
Employer. We comply with the laws and regulations set forth by the
U.S. Department of Labor.
Keywords: Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Plymouth , Medical Assistant /Practice Assistant (Clinical and Admin support), Administration, Clerical , Plymouth, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!